: Cat Poisoning
Cat Poisoning Symptoms
Failure To Recognize Symptoms Can Cause Death
usual cat poisoning symptoms are vomiting or diarrhea.
Unfortunately, not all symptoms become immediately apparent.
Sometimes a cat owner may think the cat just having bad day, but
in fact she may be exhibiting signs of cat poisoning symptoms.
Lethargic or agitated
Rapid breathing rate
Blood in vomit or stool
Weakness or unsteadiness
Swelling of tongue
Tremors or seizures
In 2007 the ASPCA poison center assisted 7,200 callers with
concerns about cat poisoning symptoms. In
most cases, getting your pet to the vet is the
most important thing that you can do. Call
your veterinarian or the ASPCA poison center first to confirm your next
Call the Vet, Pharmacist or ASPCA Poison Center First
If you think that your pet may have
ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the
call that can make all the difference: (888)
426-4435. The call is toll-free. A $60 consultation
fee may be applied to your credit card.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center can help.
If you are directed to induce vomiting, you can try using 1 teaspoon
of hydrogen peroxide per 10 lbs of
body weight. If your pet does not vomit in 10 minutes, repeat again.
NEVER do more than two treatments of peroxide.
However, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING if your cat has:
been in contact with the poison for 2 hours or more
consumed something caustic (such as drain cleaner or bleach)
has already vomited
has swallowed acid or alkali product, cleaning solution or petroleum product
has swallowed an object
is having seizures (convulsions)
Here is another article about when you
shouldn't induce vomiting.
Wrap it up...
Generally, if you notice your cat vomiting, having diarrhea,
loss of appetite, swelling of the tongue or other mouth tissues,
staggering, seizures or excessive salivation, your cat may be
If you suspect she has inhaled, absorbed or otherwise ingested
something toxic DO NOT WAIT for symptoms of cat poisoning to appear.
If your pet is showing cat poisoning symptoms, it is important
that she is examined by your veterinarian and treated appropriately.
Some toxins can progress and lead to severe seizures.
If you suspect antifreeze poisoning she must be treated
within 4-6 hours or she will experience irreversible kidney damage
Effective treatment depends on immediate treatment and knowing
what the substance is -- so bring it with you. Take samples
of diarrhea or vomit too. If you can't take the suspected substance,
write down the contents, manufacturer and any phone numbers.